Monday, November 27, 2006

Post Thanksgiving

I made it through the whole Thanksgiving thing. Driving to relatives (I hate toll roads), sleeping on a couch, and spending a lot of time thinking about carbs.

I hate that. I hate seeing a plateful of food and trying to calculate the carbs. It's a lot of work. It can be so easy when I eat a prepackaged meal that has the carbs listed on it. Eat the meal, bolus for the carbs. When it's a mix of foods that I didn't make, sometimes I have no clue. I try to think about all the "close" carbs I know, and guess. But come on...I start eating, and then don't finish all that I took. Or maybe I take another scoop of stuffing and then lose count. Was it 55 grams or 45? I wish that it didn't have to be so hard!

I was six years old when I was diagnosed, so I don't remember any holiday, etc. without diabetes. I guess it might have been easier when I was little. My mom had to do the guessing. Measure out food and put it on my plate, and then hope that I ate it all. And that was back in the day without food labelling and carb counting. Just meals with 3 bread exchanges, 3 meat exchanges, 1 fruit, 0-1 vegetable, 1 milk, and 1 fat. Who were they kidding?! 1 fat! Who ever measured the margerine or salad dressing? I don't think my mom ever did.

Dam diabetes.

1 comment:

Scott K. Johnson said...

I agree - guesstimating the carbs for stuff like that is really hard. It's also a contributing factor to why I fall victim to packaged foods too.

Dam diabetes!