Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dixie's Alert

Many times, after Dixie has alerted me, I wish that I had thought to record it. But, as it turns out, I'm low when she alerts so I'm not always at maximum brain power to remember to turn a camera on her.

Yesterday, however, I did.

I was sitting in a recliner. Dixie half jumped, and put her front paws in my lap. Having my Iphone in hand, I turned on the video camera.Then , I try to just pet her (and clean the sleep out of her eyes) so you can see that "sweet talking" her (petting) doesn't distract her from her job. I can't just "pet the alert out of her."

You'll see that holding the phone to video while blood testing is not that easy. Yes, I know that I spilled test strips everywhere. (and cleaned them up once the filming was complete) And I apologize for the camera jumping around while I was trying to poke my finger.

Dixie hates making eye contact with me, or anyone for that matter. When she does, I know she means business. After the stare, she does her two other alerts. First she paws me, and then she gets her nose under my arm/hand and pushes. You'll get to see all this. And no, I didn't have symptoms. I had no idea I was low.

People ask me all the time, "how does Dixie alert you?" Well...this is how.

Thank you, Dixie.

12 comments:

ninnifur said...

wow! That is so cool! And she is so cute :) that is so awesome that you have her! I have a question.. When you are asleep and low does she wake up and alert you?

meanderings said...

Wow! Cute and smart, too!
Great friend that you have!

Scott K. Johnson said...

I have seen that stare in person before! It is amazing to me that she can sense blood sugars for the whole group when we are together.

She is an amazing friend to you, and I'm glad she's there watching your back and taking care of you. :-)

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!!!!!

That is so amazing. God bless you, Sweet Dixie.

Thank you so much for sharing...I've never seen it in action before!!!!

Jill said...

WOOHOOOOOO! We just LOVE Dixie :) She's definately a keeper ;) Thats just amazing!!!!

Minnesota Nice said...

That stare is downright spooky. I still say Dixie's from another planet.
It reminds me of the assistant principal in high school - he had a stare that would shut up the most rambunctious student.

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing!

How is an alert dog trained? I know how they do seeing eye dogs but I have always wondered how alert (diabetes, seizure etc) service dogs are trained. Is she first trained and then brought to you? How do they know which dogs will alert to low blood sugars?

Kelly

Minnesota.Ann said...

Yippeee, you got it on camera.!!

I never thought of taking a video of Lily, (she hates picture taking). But, I am going to try anyways, cause it is neat-o.

You are right Scott, we are fortunate to have these dogs watching our backs. Like your CGM but more furry.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of the alert dogs before, but this is the first time to see one in action. WOW! You are so lucky to have Dixie in your life. An extra hug for Dixie!

Denise A said...

You are Awesome Dixie!

Smokinstella said...

What an amazing dog :D I really hope that some day we can get one for my daughter. Just to have someone who could alert if she is low and let me know during the night would be a huge weight off my shoulders. Prolly wouldnt give up the middle of the night checks but you never know when D just wont play nice.

Sandy said...

That is amazing. How wonderful. My husband has hypo unawareness and wears a CGM but I would love for him to have a Dixie of his own. That is just so wonderful. I am so glad to find your blog! I look forward to reading and seeing more! :)